The Allora & District Historical Society operate two museums in Allora, the Old Allora Shire Hall and the School of Arts, both which have a collection of memorabilia depicting the early history of Allora district from when the shepherds and teamsters camped at The Crossing on Dalrymple Creek from 1844.
The Old Allora Shire Hall is located on 53 Warwick St, Allora, and was built in 1907 and officially opened in 1908. It replaced a single story building in Forde Street. In 1915 it became the Allora Shire Hall. In 1960 new offices were built in Herbert St and the old building was used for functions and a meeting place for different organisations.
The School of Arts is located on 27 Drayton St, Allora, and was originally Allora’s first Court House built in 1866 in Raff Street. When the new Court House was built in 1884, the old building was purchased by the School of Arts and moved to its present site. A replica of the Talgai skull found in 1886 west of Allora can be viewed. This museum building has an extensive collection of everyday articles commonly used by the early residents of the district.
Admission is $2.00
The main museum (Old Allora Shire Hall) is open Sunday 1.30pm-4.00pm and by appointment on any day. The School of Arts is open by appointment only. A display and demonstration day is held annually.
53 Warwick St, Allora QLD 4362,
07 4666 3662 or 0438 173 926